Monday, September 7, 2009

Criminal Minds and Intents

Today is Labor Day, and in honor of all the labor that we do every day of the year, I am un-laboring. A&E is having a Criminal Minds marathon and I'm watching it, snug in my pj's, curled up with my dog and a piece of DiGiorno pizza, listening to my ten-year old chat on the phone.

Criminal Minds has got to be one of the sickest shows on network TV. It never ceases to amaze me how far this show will push the envelope regarding what it airs. Certainly there are criminals out there with far more horrible ideas and minds (and crimes!) than this show airs, but I still recoil in horror when I see some of the things they show. For this very reason, it's one of only two shows on tv I don't allow my children to watch--the other show being Rock of Love (or any form of it--call it guilty pleasure but it really blows my mind to see that people actually live that way!).

So why am I spending labor day watching this show? Because I can! And because it intrigues me. My absolute favorite show on the planet, until recently, was Law and Order Criminal Intent. I have a thing for Vincent D'Onofrio. Especially in earlier episodes, when he was extremely physical in his acting and could convey a mood or a thought with his body language. He also has the largest and most well-groomed hands I have ever seen on a man. The fact that his character is somewhat of a genius while being a little bit dorky (and not giving a damn about it) makes him fantastic. What a guy. My husband thinks my crush is hysterical and never wastes the opportunity to make fun of the "man with the broken neck" (as they so lovingly refer to him in one episode). Well, laugh away, my dear husband...I still have my Bobby Goren!

Since A&E has been showing Criminal Minds the last several weeks, I've been weirdly fascinated by it all. The characters are so interesting, the storylines unbelievable but intriguing. It makes me wonder what it would be like to be a detective. In real life I'm a teacher, and I not only love my job, but I rock it. I'm extremely good at what I do. But if I got the chance to trade places with one of those detectives for a day in fantasyland, I'd do it in a heartbeat...just guarantee me that my heart would still be beating when I came back!

No comments:

Post a Comment