Monday, November 2, 2009

A blog about nothing

Do you ever take the time during your day to think about all the little things that struck you as odd, funny, or amusing in the moment?

I'm sitting here thinking about my day. Over the last week I've had a lot of back pain and really not been in the best of moods. Heck, I think that statement describes almost all of my blogs! I suddenly thought, what a cool challenge to think of all the things that happened today that made me laugh. I bet there's more than a couple... now let's see...

First and foremost would be the incident during preschool this morning. One of my youngest children had a birthday. Her older sister has been greatly anticipating the day and wanted me to sing Happy Birthday to the younger one on Friday. Well, we waited until today, and I brought out our class mascot, an alligator puppet who goes by the incredibly clever name "Mr. Alligator". Mr. Alligator launched into a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday for this child, who proceeded to bounce up and down on her knees as though I had bestowed the best. Present. EVER. Her older sister sat there laughing hysterically, slapping her leg, shaking her head, and saying, "Oh, you're hilarious! You're so hilarious!"

Funny moment number two: I decided to stop at KFC to pick up some chicken for dinner. Right now we have no groceries and KFC has a special of fourteen pieces for ten dollars. Okay, I think, awesome...we'll be set! So I order my bucket of chicken. The guy asks if I want it mixed. I said yes and he asked what two kinds I wanted. I said, "Well, can't you just throw in a mix of whatever you've got?" knowing that they probably have a bit of each of three kinds--grilled, extra crispy, and original. He responded, "Well, it's just easier if we can put them in two by two." Apparently it's an extremely complicated ordeal to put five of two types in a bucket and add four of the third. Or however you would do it. By this time I'm trying really hard not to laugh. He came back on the speaker and said, "Okay, we can do it. Is there anything else?" Knowing that in the next couple of hours I'm going to be really REALLY wanting a diet Dr. Pepper, I added that to my order. Without skipping a beat, Chicken Man replies, "Well, that's some dinner you've ordered for yourself!"

Yes, Chicken Man. Me, my fourteen pieces of chicken and a diet Dr. Pepper. I figured the diet part makes up for some of the grease!

Funny bone three: I had to perform a real, live fire drill at work today for the first time by myself. My biggest fear is forgetting to notify the authorities and accidentally having fifteen fire trucks pull up at our school with no fire. Well, I remembered to notify the authorities. I even remembered how to pull the alarm. I just forgot the order in how to turn it all off! And we ended up with a high pitched squeal for twenty minutes until somebody could come by and reset the system.

A girl's gotta laugh..otherwise you'd cry, right?

I never was a big Seinfeld fan, but if I was, I would imagine this blog entry would be somewhat akin to a Seinfeld episode. Much ado about nothing! But aren't the "nothing" moments the ones that make up the majority of our lives? Aren't they the ones we should be rejoicing in, holding dear, embracing?

If not, at least I can laugh my butt off about it.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!!!
    I loved this story and the fact that you refer to him as "chicken man" makes it that much funnier!!! I swear, I almost peed my pants when I read it. I burst out laughing so hard that john came running in to see if I was okay!!!
    Bravo!!!

    ReplyDelete