Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 266--The Life of a Medical Guinea Pig

Pain-3 to 4
Anxiety-5 to 6

Okay, so this week I should have blogged at least once more because I had the best day ever, or best since I had moved back home.  I was able to get up, get ready, go to lunch and a movie with a friend of mine.  Then I came home and cooked dinner.  Altogether, a super successful day.

I'm fairly certain that yesterday was a good day too.  The thing is, I don't remember it.  I remember bits and pieces of it, like eating a sub from Jimmy John's with my husband late last night.  I think I did some laundry.  Probably watched some tv too.  But that's all.  So the question becomes why do I not remember?  My guess is the same reason that I slept all day today until five p.m.  It's normal for me to sleep in on the weekends, but not this much.  And definitely not with huge gaps in my memory.

I'm fairly certain I know why.  See, I'm on a muscle relaxant called cyclobenzaprine.  In previous years when I have taken it, I've slept for 24 hours as a result.  When I was taking it earlier this year on a more regular basis, I wasn't asleep all the time, but I certainly felt as though I was living in a parallel universe.  I had stopped taking it a week or so ago because I had suspicions it was numbing me right out of my mind.  Well, I took one last night because I was having some muscle pain.  Big mistake.

I've spent the majority of my day asleep, and my waking hours crying, feeling disoriented and just not right.  My typical Saturday routine was thrown off and everything was a mess.  I was dizzy and out of it, and I hate that feeling.  My plans to take my youngest to a theme park for a few hours this evening were squelched.  I was in another world.

So my rheumatologist can expect a phone call on Monday morning.  I cannot tolerate this medication any longer.  I'd much rather take something with less strength than suffer through something that knocks me out for two days.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment