Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 240

Pain-0
Anxiety-3
Exhaustion-6

Well, every once in awhile it's absolutely necessary to get back to the core of things and the original purpose of this blog.  Originally, the purpose was twofold; first, to share our battle with attachment disorder and to be able to safely process that, and secondly, to share my thoughts on the greatest detectives TV has ever known.  No, I'm not talking Columbo or Magnum P.I.  I'm talking one Robert Goren and one Alexandra Eames.

Really, how could you have Goren without Eames?  It's like having salt without pepper (or pepa, if you know what I mean).  And Eames without Goren?  There'd be no one around to poke the dry eyeballs, to eat the glue or sniff the cake frosting.  Nobody to move people's stuff around the room or to shock a confession out of a criminal.  They're yin and yang.  Eames' practical approach, laced with sarcasm, complements Goren's unconventional tactics and quirks.  You have to love them both.

I'll be honest.  There's something about the Goren character that appeals to me as a woman, and that kind of scares me.  Because if you're naming some of the most broken, fucked-up characters on television, he'd be on the list.  Why do women like bad boys?  To save them from themselves, of course.  I would happily dedicate several years to making Bobby better if given the chance.  But we all know, in reality, a man like Bobby would be too broken to have a relationship, and too smart to turn the other way and try to convince himself that he could.

Really, what a lot of it boils down to is sexual attraction.  Robert Goren looks damn fine in a suit.  So good that when he takes his tie off, it leads to all sorts of naughty thoughts.  I have plenty of friends who don't get my attraction, and that's okay.  I'll admit there are definite looks I enjoy more than others.  I'm a cropped hair, neat suit type of fan, as opposed to the curly, unkempt hair, beard, and layered tee and flannel shirt.  He looked like a logger man in those episodes.  Anyone who has watched a bit of the show over the years can tell you that D'Onofrio puts on and takes off weight fairly regularly.  But regardless of size, put him in a suit and it'll catch your breath, every time.

I find it curious that the character of Bobby Goren is who I'm attracted to, as opposed to the actor.  D'Onofrio has done some wonderful film work, and I'm sure he's a passionate, kind person in real life.  But Bobby is who I know.  He's comfortable and smart, misunderstood and quirky, and he appeals to a woman's nature--a need to "fix" things, to nurture the man who never was nurtured.

And so I find myself once again swooning over a dark navy suit in this episode.  However, should Bobby decide he'd like to loosen his tie and remove his jacket, there would be no objection from THIS peanut gallery.  Or your pants, buddy...you could lose them...

No comments:

Post a Comment